Richmond Home

Apply for On-Campus Student Job Opportunities

In order to be eligible to work as a student employee, you must be enrolled at least 6 credit hours or 1.75 units and seeking a degree at the University of Richmond.  School of Professional and Continuing Studies students must be seeking a degree or enrolled in an academic certificate program.

There are two different student employment programs at the University: the University Work Program (UWP) and the Federal Work Study (FWS) program. It is important to understand the difference between these programs as you are investigating job opportunities.

If you have been awarded federal work study (FWS) funds as part of your financial aid package, you would apply for those jobs designated as FWS. If you have not been awarded FWS funds, you can only apply for those jobs designated as UWP.

FICA Tax Exemption

Whether you are UWP or FWS, during the academic school year (fall and spring semesters) only, you will be exempt from paying FICA taxes (social security and Medicare) if you work as a University of Richmond student employee. This means more money (7.65%) in your pocket when compared to working off campus.

Preparing for Paperwork

You only need to complete your pre-employment paperwork once for all jobs on campus, but legally you must complete your paperwork before you start in your first student employment position. Start working now on getting your original I-9 documentation so you will have it once you are hired.

Originial Social Security Card

You'll need to complete your paperwork on campus before you begin work.

To make sure you can begin your position once hired, work on getting your original I-9 documentation now.